Last Summer I decided to make a patchwork quilt to occupy myself, so I thought now its been finished (for quite some time), I’d make a post about it on here! I also thought it was about time I made a craft post on here!
My cousin Gemma (you can read her blog at wordpress.com/#!/read/blog/id/44136844/) had previously made a quilt, so I thought I’d jump on the bandwagon! I made a single sized quilt and it started life as 144 5 inch square charm squares, I bought these ready made off a website in packs of 20, and if I’m honest I had no idea what the colours and patterns would be, and they varied between each pack. I then laid these out on my bedroom floor in the desired pattern on top of the single quilt I have bought (although I didn’t over think it as I wanted it to look randomly placed).
Note: the single quilt I bought was a 4.5 tog quilt (to enable easier quilting once the patchwork had been done), and although it was a cheap supermarket quilt I made sure it was washable.
Once I was happy with the layout I grouped each row together starting from the left, and pinned them in a pile with the row number on. This meant I just had hand stitch each row together. I left a 1cm seam around each edge, and handstitched each of the squares together within their rows (so I ended up with 16 strips of 9 squares), but left the number pinned to them.
Once I had sewn each row, I then began to sew each of the rows together (this time using the machine). This is where the numbering comes in, as I then knew where I wanted each row when I originally laid out the squares. Once I had finished the patch work I moved onto the quilting.
I had bought a sheet to back the quilt an use as a border on the front of the quilt (not a cheap one, as I thought it might go thin quite quickly). I laid this out on the floor and put the quilt in the middle of it. I then put the patchwork in the middle of the quilt with equal borders around the side (hence the ruler), I measured this off the edge of the quilt.
I then folded the sheet over the quilt to create the border, pinned it in place and tacked it ready for machine sewing in place. I cheated a bit with the machine sewing, and in all honesty I did the borders on the outside of the quilt, but my aunt did the rest as I was struggling! It took a decent sewing machine to quilt it as despite the quilt inside being the thinnest I could get, it struggled!
I wanted to keep the quilting simple, so quilted around the border and along the rows (the picture shows the back of the quilt!). I then decided I wanted to put a border of buttons around the edge of the patchwork, however I realised this was going to cost alot of money if I bought them myself, so I shamelessly begged my family to donate any spare buttons they had to my quilt; they responded in their thousands (well not quite, but they provided my with a healthy supply), alongside a few I bought myself.
The first of the buttons that I had sewed on.
and the first row of buttons! However I did swap a few later as I wanted it to look mismatched!
Nearly there! Most of the buttons have been stitched on in this picture.
There’s even two buttons on it that my cousin brought back from China, there’s a few from my mum that she cut off some old shirts, and plenty from other family members. I love that there’s a story to them all and how it makes my patchwork quilt look really different!
The finished quilt! Apologies for the angle of the photo, it was hard to get the whole thing in the picture!
Close up of the corner, patchwork and the buttons.
Overall the quilt cost me about £50, however it was worth every penny, and I even inspired a family friend to restart making a quilt that she started making when she was my age! I am very proud of it 😀